How To Declutter Your Home
Decluttering & Refreshing services.
Here at Home Moving Planners we are expert clutter organizers and offer a professional clutter consultant service.
Although organizing clutter isn’t rocket science, it does take patience, discipline and direction. If you are not a natural organizer or you are feeling too overwhelmed with the process of removing clutter from your home, there are clutter consultant companies and clutter clearing companies who are clutter experts such as ourselves who can help remove this stress from you.
Home Moving Planners are experts at clutter organizing to help people continue living in their homes safely and those that need clearing out clutter to prepare their house for sale.
Tips for how to declutter your home.
If you're not sure how to declutter your home, below you will find a list of Home Moving Planners clutter clearing and clutter cleaning tips for decluttering your home (we use these when decluttering and clearing up a clients house):
- Determine whether your house is cluttered because you are:
- not effectively using storage space in your house,
- you do not have any storage options,
- you have items in the wrong place OR
- you just have too much clutter.
- Can you group similar items and possession together in storage options (such as paper trays, baskets, magazine holders) instead of having things lying on desks, coffee tables etc?
- Are the possessions you are keeping very old? Are you just hoarding clutter? Have you used them in the last few years? Do you plan on using this item in the next year? If not maybe it could be useful to sell your clutter and give it to charity instead of taking up space in your house.
- Your house dosent need to be a display home, but it needs to be organized enough that you can find what you want when you want it, without causing you stress. Assess whether your home meets this criteria or do you just have too much household clutter.
- Don’t get overwhelmed or panic! Take the house declutter task one step at a time and work room by room.
- Set up 4 designated work stations: one for rubbish, charity, things to keep/go to storage, and items to sell.
- Return things to their “home” once the item has bee used. This will stop things being left all over the place, and keep things in a ordered and neat fashion.
- Don’t leave clothes in your closet until they are out of date, they take up storage space that could be used for other things.
- Tackle the storage areas first, so that way when you begin sorting other rooms, you will have places to put these possessions that should have been put in storage!
- Tidy up your linen closets. The neater the items are folded, the more items you can fit into the storage area. Also note whether you need to keep all of those towels and sheets. Are they old and past their used by date? You can find cheap new bed linen around, so best to get rid of the old!
- Identify what can be tossed first (the things you really don’t want or care about) and then decide what to do with the things you are unsure about. This will get the ball rolling
- Try to get into a rhythm when sorting to eliminate clutter; if you are unsure what to do with an item, set it aside and come back to it later. Don’t spend more than a few minutes deciding what to do with one item.
- Often because we are a consumer society we accumulate more than we need. This is clutter hoarding! Maybe that’s why the terms “declutter”, “decluttering” and “clutter” have become everyday words. Look objectively at your possessions. Do you just have too much unnecessary clutter and impulse buys? Try to look at your possessions objectively rather than emotionally. If you don’t use it and it’s taking up space, it’s time for the item to go to get rid of clutter or eliminate clutter.
- Get items disposed of or donated ASAP after your sorting sessions, so that you don’t have the temptation of going back through your removed piles. Again think objectively, if your first instinct was to toss, or it has ended up in the toss pile, then you probably don’t need to hold onto it and it probably dosent hold a lot of emotional or sentimental purpose. Let it go!
So ... for help with organising the clutter in your home ...
And if this is just too overwhelming, give us a call as we can help with clutter removal or decluttering your home!
Home Moving Planners ... your cluttering organizing specialists.